Identify if the user is doing SmartCheckout for the second time

Hello

I’m working on an Ecommerce mobile application that integrated the VTEX system through the external API. I would like to know if there is any way to identify whether an user without an VTEX account is performing a SmartCheckout for the second time.

I am currently using the Get client profile by email to retrieve the client’s obfuscated data, but this same endpoint would bring the data previously entered in a SmartCheckout, even if the email does not have a VTEX account?

I read at SmartCheckout - Customer information automatic fill-in that:

For SmartCheckout to reuse the information at Checkout, the customer must have already made a previous purchase or must have created a profile in the store.

So, is this only possible if the user has previously made a purchase through normal checkout while logged in? Is there another way to do this?

Hi Victor,
I’m not sure if I understood your question correctly, but the SmartCheckout actually retrieves a customer’s purchase data. In VTEX, email serves as the primary identification key. Therefore, if a customer has made a purchase in your store before, their data will be retrieved during the next purchase without the need for them to log in.

This doesn’t necessarily mean that they “created” an account in the traditional sense; it just means they have reached the final checkout page, and their data is saved for future purchases.

I hope I’ve explained it clearly enough, but I recommend testing a purchase on a VTEX store to better understand how this process works.

Karina Mota
Field Software Engineer | VTEX